Saturday, June 28, 2014

Memories...

This weekend I had the privilege of celebrating the life of my great Uncle Bill Linton. He was one of my grandmothers (Mum) brothers. Uncle Bill was always a very unique individual. And as such, his memorial was unique. Friends and family gathered to share laughs and tears as we remembered his life. There were a few things that I took away from this time. He was 84 years and truly part of the greatest generation. He came from a generation that didn't believe in disposable or throwing away things (As Andy can attest!). I saw friends of his from his childhood. How amazing is that? One of his "new" friends had only know him about 50 years and spoke of many old memories as well as recent ones. He recalled fishing trips and funny stories. He told of taking Uncle Bill back to his favorite fishing spot in the last months of his life. They didn't fish, they just looked around and took it all in. I pray that when my time on earth is done that I will have friends like that. Perhaps more importantly, I hope that I will be that kind of friend. I watched my grandmother laugh and giggle with her brothers and sisters. I saw what true hospitality is like. Aunt Doris opened her home and everyone felt like they could stay forever. I saw the rose bush that I remembered from Great Grandma Linton's home. Grandma Linton has been in Heaven for over 20 years, but when I saw the rose bush and smelled that sweet smell, it was like being a little girl again. And Mum explained how I could take a cutting from that very bush and have my own piece of Grandma Linton's roses just by using a mason jar! And you better believe I am going to do just that! I watched people from all the different times of Uncle Bill's life come together and just share. A jewel of wisdom that I will treasure and remind myself of came from Aunt Georgia (Mum's sister). We were on our way to see Mum's new home and she made the comment that "We all make choices that we regret or are not the best, but no matter what we are family. Nothing can change that." Wise words to remember and live by. And the rainbow I saw on my way home...just like a smile from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment